Thursday 2 July 2015

Gratitude July - Intro!

Connecting Gratitude, Pausing & Winter.
(And an invitation)

grateful words on lips
gentle susurration
smile turns slowly up*

It started as a bit of a game on Facebook: a daily poetry challenge.  You give Peter a word, and he writes it into poetry.  [words used: grateful, susurration] *(Poetry by Peter White)
Peter’s challenge was running in parallel with a couple of other friends who used photographs or words to express gratitude every day for a month.  All of them said the same thing: It’s easy at first – food, water, sunshine, etc. But as time went on, the challenge took more time and more focus – it took them into some things they had never seen before, and many that they had taken for granted.  What were the actual qualities of their spouse or best friend for which they were thankful?  Some even named the rhythm of ironing and the hum of the vacuum cleaner as representing gratitude for having clothes and a home.
Recently, we paused and expressed thanks to God for the gift of a new home - blessing places of rest, cleansing, hospitality, meal-preparation, story-telling, creativity; windows that welcome light, and doors that welcome old and new friends. This moment and these people paused to express gratitude for bringing the Tonga family to this new point in their lives.

As I ran past bare trees and soaked fields yesterday, I wondered if there might be a connection between winter, pausing … and finding that gratitude.  In winter, creation takes a pause from growing and fruiting. It needs the rest, the pause, the patient-waiting in order to grow well in spring.
I wondered if this might be a useful winter / July discipline – to write or draw or photograph (phone or camera), something for which I’m grateful every day. 
So I’m going to dive in on July 1: a month of recording things for which I’m grateful.  I’m going to do mine through my blog. You would be welcome to join me – journal, blog, facebook, instagram or on your fridge door. One thing every day for which we are grateful. (I’d love to hear from you if you are joining me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment